Saturday, September 29, 2007

Trottin' the Fox


This past Tuesday night, Mark and I started our ballroom dance class...again...
The Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation District (or THPRD as it is called)offers a huge variety of classes and workshops dealing with fitness and health, especially recreation...the classes are very reasonably priced if you live within the district so we have, on occasion, taken advantage of a few different activities...
So, last October, as I was leafing through the course catalog I noticed a beginning ballroom dance class...10 classes for $80 (per couple of course.) I signed us up and we were off and hoofing...The classes are held at the Cedar Hills Recreation Center, which in a former incarnation was the very exact Cedar Hills Elementary School that Donald H. Berg attended as an eager young student.... Yup, THAT Don Berg...the school is now a rec center with a couple of classrooms opened up into a couple of "studios" with nice floors for dancin'...We weren't the best dancers, but we certainly weren't the worst...Unfortunately, we had to drop out a few weeks early for "personal, medical reasons" (A little snicker to myself...I've always wanted to use that phrase...just like a public figure, or celebrity or somethin').
ANYWAY! My THPRD membership card "expired" this month...since it costs nothing to get a card, or to renew a card, I think it's funny that it can "expire." Actually it's just their method of making sure you still live in the district boundaries...cuz you get to pay more for classes if you don't live "in-district."
A couple of weeks ago I stopped by the Conestoga Swim Center after attending a Southridge High School JV Volleyball game next door (you know, my continuing effort to de-hermitise)to renew my card and the nice girl asked me did I want to sign up for any classes?? No, I said...then...Wait!!! Do they have any spaces left in the ballroom dance class??? She clickity clicked on the computer...why, yes...there's lots of room, she said...Sign me up! I said...I paid my money and hoped that Mark was free on Tuesday nights...and just like that, Fred and Ginger are back in bid-ness...
Our teachers, Clark and Rita, are very nice....We were surprised at how quickly we remembered the things we learned last year...Mainly, we remembered that Clark fancies himself quite the comedian, and we are all best served to nod and smile at his lame attempts at humor so he will move on....he is a master at "I can wait..." while the group catches on to the pun or quip...or....just whatever........this time, we were quick to nod or smile...and thus maintained our status of Teacher's Pets....
Plus, none of the other couples knew we had taken the class before, so they were all secretly admiring how quickly we picked up the steps and routine...not to mention that we were the ONLY couple (besides the teachers) with our own Dance Shoes....oh, yes...we have our own shoes...and, much like bowling, you can tell the serious dancers by their shoes...
We had a really good time brushing up on The Fox Trot basics and are looking forward to next week ...adding turns and a spin...slow, slow...quick, quick.
There's just one problem...as with most dance studios, one entire wall is covered with mirrors...and some fat lady keeps getting in the way every time I try to get a glimpse of myself....don't know who she is, but she's fast.........she's really annoying to look at...except for the cute glasses...

5 comments:

Granelda Thudpucker said...

Way to go Fred and Ginger. I can't wait to see the moves in person.

MKB said...

sounds like fun! next time you see that lady getting in your way you go up to the mirror and you push her out of the way...and like grandelda said can't wait to see the moves in person!

Art said...

Don't want to contradict you, but THAT Don Berg attended William Walker Elementary and not Cedar Hills. But hey, it's still a good story and I appreciate the honorable mention.

ART

Trixie L'Amour said...

oops...thanks for the correction, Art...isn't this the exact reason all the "bigs" have fact checkers??? Well, maybe we'll just leave it for now.....

MKB said...

hey how are those classes going?